ISO/TS 16949:2009 (TS-3)*
ISO/TS 16949:2009 , the technical specification, was approved and issued in July 2009, as an automotive sector-specific QMS set of requirements which uses ISO 9001:2008 (verbatim) as its base.
As an international ISO technical specification:
SATISFYING YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CUSTOMER
- Anyone can acquire a copy of this International Technical Specification, ISO/TS 16949:2009, through ANSI or other locations such as www.AIAG.org;
- Anyone can utilize this document to improve their Quality Management Systems;
- It is an international specification to which an organization can be certified by an IATF certification body (CB) or registrar (www.iatfglobaloversight.org) if they meet the eligibility requirements for certification to ISO/TS 16949
If your intent is to achieve 3rd party registration to satisfy the requirements of your subscribing automotive customer, then certain added subscribing customer-defined aspects of the registration process and the ISO/TS 16949:2009 (called TS-3 from here forward) technical specification must be satisfied.
The International Automotive Task Force, IATF, has developed its own unique and proprietary registration process and requirements for organization registration, and conducts its own qualifying of certification bodies/registrars and their auditors.
Subscribing Automotive OEM companies will only recognize and accept a TS-3 registration which has been conducted using the prescribed registration process ("rules" available from your CB), and conducted by CB's that have been selected and contracted by the IATF. Registration to TS-3 by an IATF “selected” CB is required before such a certificate can show the IATF mark and indicate IATF recognition.
The IATF has asked all registrars to assure that ISO/TS 16949:2009 (TS-3) registrants meet the following applicability requirements:
*1 i.e., makes or fabricates production materials, parts, assemblies or heat treating, welding, painting, plating or other finishing services (3.1.6)
- The TS-3 definition of supplier applicability must apply to the organization seeking registration*1;
- One of the registered organization’s customers must list TS-3 as one of the alternatives of a required standard to which its suppliers must comply;
- Any tier may be registered if it has a direct customer (or potential customer) that requires either compliance or 3rd party registration to TS-3; and
- Evidence of being a potential supplier to a customer requiring TS-3 could include an RFQ issued to the organization, or the organization being on the bid list of the TS-3 subscribing customer.
IF YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR TS-3 3rd PARTY REGISTRATION
Those organizations and suppliers that do not qualify for IATF recognized registration to ISO/TS 16949 , or which supply parts and services to a TS-3 registered organization, are encouraged (in some cases required) to maintain ISO 9001:2008 registration.
A quotation for registration to ISO/TS 16949:2009 can be provided by contacting www.SRIRegistrar.com (this site sponsor) or by reviewing the list of contracted IATF CB's at www.iatfglobaloversight.org.
Suppliers normally obtain registration to TS-3 from their current CB, but if you are not with an recognized IATF CB, contact SRI at www.SRIRegistrar.com.
Supplier Training courses relative to preparing for registration to ISO/TS 16949:2009 are available from many sources including SRI-Training and through the AIAG. The most effective sources for general public training have shown to be the organizations (such as CB's) that know and practically applies the TS-3 criteria.
This web site will be providing more information, comments and advice concerning 3rd party registration to ISO/TS 16949:2009 in the near future. If you have questions about TS 16949, click here to access our online information request form.
This information has been established by SRI Quality System Registrar (www.sriregistrar.com), an ISO/ TS16949 - selected registrar, as a service for SRI’s customers and others within the automotive supplier community that may benefit. All information is copyrighted year 2013 by SRI Quality System Registrar, and represents, solely, the opinions and understandings of the company, and are not intended to conflict with, or replace, any requirements of, or communications from, the IATF, or any other officially designated IATF source or agent. Communications, inquiries, or any updates are invited - please contact us via email: mail@TS16949.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org, or 724-934-9000. SRI not only provides registration to ISO 9001, ISO 14001, AS9100, and ISO/TS 16949, but also provides public TRAINING courses for individuals and organizations who want to update their competency.
*This site is provided as a service by SRI Quality System Registrar, an IATF recognized registrar. It is independent from, and not associated with, the IATF, IAOB, or any other recognized body. For official information, go to www.aiag.org.
Copyright © 2013 SRI Quality System Registrar, all rights reserved.